I picked the creek at Bergman Park because it was close by and because there are always salamanders in it, even when it is dry.
Honestly, every 5th rock turned up a salamander.
I’m pretty sure there were at least four or five different kinds of salamanders. I’ll leave it to the herp nerds to tell me what they are…
UPDATE 9/8/08: Oops… Only two different kinds. Sarah the herp nerd tells me that all of these are Dusky Salamanders, except the last one, which is a Two-lined Salamander. Thanks Sarah!
There were lots of many-legged creatures, too, some who could twist and turn like a pretzel.
There were plenty of bugs, too… beetles and crickets and such that were too fast to photograph. I also liked finding hidden homes, including one that was recently excavated.
It was also nice just to see colored leaves or fossils.
I think International Rock Flipping Day is my new favorite holiday.
Compliments of Dave Bonta:
Rock-Flipping Day Reports
- Pohanginapete (Pohangina Valley, Aotearoa/New Zealand)
- Blaugustine (London, England)
- Nature Remains (Ohio, USA)
- Pensacola Daily Photo (Florida, USA)
- KatDoc’s World (Ohio, USA)
- Notes from the Cloud Messenger (Ontario, Canada)
- Brittle Road (Dallas, Texas)
- Sherry Chandler (Kentucky, USA)
- osage + orange (Illinois, USA)
- Rock Paper Lizard (British Columbia, Canada)
- The Crafty H (Virginia, USA)
- Chicken Spaghetti (Connecticut, USA)
- A Passion for Nature (New York, USA)
- The Dog Geek (Virginia, USA)
- Blue Ridge blog (North Carolina, USA)
- Bug Girl’s Blog (Michigan, USA)
- chatoyance (Austin, Texas)
- Riverside Rambles (Missouri, USA)
- Pines Above Snow(Maryland, USA)
- Beth’s stories (Maine, USA)
- A Honey of an Anklet (Virginia, USA)
- Wanderin’ Weeta (British Columbia, Canada)
- Fate, Felicity, or Fluke (Oregon, USA)
- The Northwest Nature Nut (Oregon, USA)
- Roundrock Journal (Missouri, USA)
- The New Dharma Bums (California, USA)
- The Marvelous in Nature (Ontario, Canada)
- Via Negativa (Pennsylvania, USA)
- Mrs. Gray’s class, Beatty-Warren Middle School (Pennsylvania, USA)
- Cicero Sings (British Columbia, Canada)
- Pocahontas County Fair (West Virginia, USA)
- Let’s Paint Nature (Illinois, USA)
- Sleeping in the Heartland (Midwestern USA)
* * *